Saturday, August 20, 2011

About to begin the new school year

In family news, school starts next week for Nathaniel and I can't believe how time has flown. This summer was packed with events- trip to Yosmite, cub scout camp, a week at the farm, and a ballet performance. The trip to Yosmite started off a bit bad with an unplanned night of sleep on the Augusta airport floor and only one day in San Fransisco. The weather was wonderful, but caused a few sunburns. We came home with only 1329 photos. We had a week of normal work and then it was scout camp time. Then 2 weeks off and it was time for Nathaniel to spend a week with Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Sydney at the farm in Illinois. He had a blast helping mow the lawn among other things. Now school starts next week and I can't believe we are done with summer.

In dance news, Nathaniel and I danced for a local event. For his first time performing ballet, he did great. He started ballet this spring in March, I think. He danced in both a quartet with another boy and 2 girls (including lifts). They worked really well together and pulled it off with only about 5 hours total of practice. I danced in both a group number (with the tutus pictured in the last post) and performed the Paquita variation #4 (or 5 depending on which numbering system you use). I have never done a solo and this was on pointe as well. I have seen the video and boy do I need to work on some stuff. I have never seen myself dance before and it was scary. It didn't help that the stage was slick. We both performed in the finale which was learned by everyone in about 3 hours. We definitely were not a polished group, but had fun and no one got hurt by the slippery stage. We are also getting ready to help my ballet teacher launch his new studio (this includes a repeat performance of what we did before, hopefully better than before).
Other than ballet I also competed in the Dublin Irish Festival adult dance competition. It was a fun evening. For the first time I was in the over 35 category and therefore dancing against about 18 other people. I got first in Jig and third in Treble Jig. I really messed up the Slip Jig and slightly messed up the Hornpipe, but had fun.

In spinning news, I tried to do the Tour de Fleece this year. I was going to spin the 3 Spunky club fibers I had (April, May and June), but didn't finish. I got the first 2 done quickly and then had other things going on. I did get some drop spindle time in while at scout camp. The scouts and other leaders were interested in the spinning, so hopefully some packs out there might try it. Today was the Mid-Ohio Fiber Festival in Newark, OH. I got there around 9 when they opened and was there for about 1.5 hours. I had a lovely time just looking at the vendors. The Woolery was there and I got some stuff from them:I got a packet of 2oz of silk bells, 3 packets of cocoons, and a 3/4 oz turkish spindle. I got a small packet of silk from a different vendor (can't remember who) and also 2 4oz balls of undyed wool from another vendor (a CVMX and a RomeldaleX).

In knitting news, I finished Darin's sweater, so I got to start my Bohus sweater. We revised the color pattern from the Wild Apple sweater to have fewer colors. I am using KnitPicks Palette and only 9 colors. Some of the color rows had 3 colors used and they took a long time to knit. I am now in the boring plain round and round of knitting using Asphalt Heather. I do like that the sleeves are done before the body and the armpit transition is done with a provisional cast-on, so no seam.

No comments: